Municipal Solar Resources
Municipal land use and building departments are usually responsible for the permitting, inspection, and compliance aspects of solar installations. How can we make those processes more efficient, the staff more knowledgeable, and better serve our constituents? NVCOG is working with SolSmart to provide training and guidance to make our region solar-friendly.
Regional Solar Inspection Checklist 3.4.22
All building inspectors in the NVCOG region were asked to help create and revise this regional solar inspection checklist. This resource applies to solar PV installations under 1 MW, and is intended for guidance purposes only. Last updated 3.4.22.
This training was held 6/1/22.
- Access the recording here: https://youtu.be/hw3d-QyImx4
- Kirt Mayland’s slideshow: Kirt Mayland Solar Presentation
- Paul Michaud’s slideshow: Paul Michaud Solar Presentation
This training was held on 6/8/22.
- Access the recording here: https://youtu.be/8QGoB4Q2GSk
- Bill Brooks Permitting Slides: SolSmart Permitting Slides 6 8 22
- Bill Brooks Inspection Slides: SolSmart Inspection Slides 6 8 22
We strongly encourage all municipalities to pursue local SolSmart certification while we pursue our regional one. Visit the SolSmart website to learn why you should apply, what’s involved, and how to get started.
If you decide to move forward with local certification, NVCOG may be able to partner with you on certain actions and provide technical assistance. Please contact Christine O’Neill at email@example.com to discuss.
- SolSmart: Solar and EV Guide for Local Governments
- IREC: Advancing Solar Equity
- Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection: “STEPS” – Sustainable, Transparent and Efficient Practices for Solar Development
- American Farmland Trust: Smart Solar Siting Partnership Project for New England
- SolSmart: Permitting Best Practices
- NREL: Solar Powering Your Community – A Guide For Local Governments
- American Planning Association and International City/County Manager Association: Solar@Scale: A Local Government Guidebook for Improving Large-Scale Solar Development Outcomes
- Updated Guidance 2023: Updated Large-Scale Solar Guidance from Solar@Scale